Given how complex the human nervous system is, conditions that affect the nervous system are vast. Our Neurologists are experts in all conditions that affect the nervous system, from the routine to the very complex. Some of the more common conditions that they treat include:
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease
- Concussion and traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Dementia or Alzheimer’s Disease
- Epilepsy and seizure disorders
- Headaches, including migraines and cluster headaches
- Movement disorders such as Parkinson’s Disease
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Nerve pain
- Peripheral Nerve Disease
- Spine conditions, including herniated discs, fractures, stenosis, and other problems
When to See a Doctor
Neurologists are experts in one of the most complex systems known: the human nervous system. Even the smallest change in the nervous system can have wide-reaching effects and symptoms. Make an appointment with a neurologist if you are experiencing:
- Behavior changes
- Confusion, trouble thinking, or memory problems
- Dizziness or balance and coordination problems
- Insomnia (not being able to fall or stay asleep)
- Numbness, weakness, or trouble moving
- Pain without a known cause
- Sensitivity to light or sound
- Severe headaches
- Trouble communicating, reading, or writing
- Tremors or other involuntary movements
- Vision changes
Call 911 or seek emergency medical help if you have sudden or severe neurological symptoms.
To help determine the cause of your symptoms, a variety of advanced tests can be useful:
- Electroencephalogram (EEG) – A diagnostic test for seizures, headaches, and dementia that records electrical activity in the brain.
- Electromyogram (EMG), also known as a nerve conduction study – A procedure that assesses how well signals travel through the nerves and how well they reach the muscles.
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan – An advanced and imaging test utilizes a magnetic field to produce very detailed pictures of the soft tissues of the body including the brain, nerves, muscles, and tendons.
Schedule an Appointment
Your Treatment Plan
The Neurology specialists at The CORE Institute utilize the latest techniques and technologies as part of a tailored treatment plan specific to your condition. Some of these include:
- Physical therapy
- Lifestyle recommendations to prevent headaches
- Pain management, which may include nerve block injections, trigger point injections, or other treatments
- Prescription or over-the-counter medications
- Recommendations to improve sleep
- Referrals to community resources and support groups for patients and caregivers
Whether it is a neurologic condition or something related to other aspects of your musculoskeletal system, contact us at The CORE Institute and let our integrated team of specialists help you Keep Life in Motion®.